Skincare After a Facial: Do’s and Don’ts
A lot of people ask me how to care for their skin immediately after a facial. Below are some tips and tricks from your favorite esti 🙂
1. Stay Hydrated: Even though you’ll be leaving the studio with deeply moisturized skin after your facial, it’s still important to keep hydrated by drinking about two liters of water each day. Hydration not only helps you flush out toxins but it also helps keep your skin healthy and glowing.
2. Be Gentle: Your skin may be a bit sensitive after a facial due to extractions and exfoliation. So remember to stick to gentle cleansers…and you might want to skip the toners for a few days as well. Also avoid harsh skincare products as they can likely worsen minor irritations.
3. Do Not Apply Makeup Immediately After: This question comes up a lot and the answer to that is, “ideally no.” Following a facial, it’s best to leave your face makeup free for about 24 hours. Because your pores are still open, any makeup or products you apply can lead to breakouts or irritate your face. Being makeup free also allows your skin to breath. If you absolutely have to wear makeup for an important event, be sure to clean your bushes and applicators beforehand.
4. Avoid Strenuous Activity: After a facial, your skin needs a rest day of its own. So, it may be best to skip the workout for a day (or get your work out in before), as sweat and other pollutants can cause or worsen irritation and clog your freshly cleaned pores.
5. Stay out of the Sun: Freshly exfoliated skin is much more vulnerable to harmful UV rays. So, it’s important to stay out of the sun as much as you can immediately following a facial. While you can’t avoid the sun all together, try to avoid extended hours in the sun. And remember to always apply SPF before leaving the house.